This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Veronica Veronica 2 years, 8 months ago.

• Author
    Veronica
    Veronica
    Keymaster

You won’t have to research for very long before you find that something is seriously wrong with our food supply. Small farmers are getting pushed out by large corporate farming operations and animals are no longer raised in sunny pastures or on fresh foods.

My goal is not to be a whistle-blower on the sick practices or sickness of the animals we raise to eat. There are plenty of others who excel at uncovering the truth about our food supply.

Ethics aside, my concern over all this ‘bad’ food is the impact of it on your body!

Protein as you know is one of the main components of our health requirements. While I understand that people are able to survive and thrive on non-animal protein sources, I neither teach nor practice that. What is important to me is that the protein you put in your body is healthy and clean.

Whenever possible I eat free range eggs (from hens that have been allowed to roam on farm land). A second choice are organic and cage free (from hens that have been fed an organic diet). Due to our climate if I can save a dollar or two on a dozen eggs in the winter months, I’ll opt for organic over free range. Hens aren’t doing much roaming about and eating bugs in the sunshine during the winter months, anyway.

My other protein sources are grass-fed beef. Generally expensive, but if you can purchase a side or quarter of beef in the fall and store it in the freezer, and you know where it came from, you won’t be paying a premium price for better beef. It will have been raised locally and economically, by nature’s standards. The same is true of lamb. Pork may be a little trickier as not many farmers give their pigs pasture – even though it saves the farmer plenty and produces better quality pork.

My family also eats wild game when available. Venison, partridge (pheasant), geese and moose. Mom’s favorite – because she has found a good supplier that simply lets the herd roam on the land without intervention – is buffalo.

Some nuts and seeds also round out our diet. Almonds are a great source of protein (1 cup is the equivalent to 60% of recommended daily intake given government standard diet), but you won’t want to rely on them for your protein source (based on caloric value and phytic acid). Everything in moderation, after all.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.