This topic contains 13 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Veronica Veronica 2 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

Anna Wiles
    Participant

Not sure really what I’m looking for – just have a lot of inflammation, and maybe it starts with diet, but I wondered if there was something that would help.
    To jump start things….

Veronica
    Veronica
    Keymaster

Gut inflammation?

Can you describe some of the symptoms you’re experiencing? I don’t want to give you the wrong advice – advice that can cause more of the same symptoms.

Also let me know how strong your understanding of nutrition, gut health, parasites, etc.

And…how you’ve been eating lately. No judgement here – restaurants, type of packaged foods, junk foods, home cooked, etc. Do you notice discomfort, lack of energy, bloating, or symptoms after eating a specific food type? 1 hour after? 12?

Anna Wiles
    Participant

Just general inflammation throughout my body. I haven’t started any diet yet.

My orthopedic surgeon put me on an anti-inflammatory medications as a temporary help, but I can’t take those drugs forever.

I have a lot of pain, muscle tension and inflammation in my back, shoulder and arm. I know there is one issue that may require surgery – (congenital bone structure issue in both wrists). I do get bloating as well, and fluid retention in my ankles.

I eat a real mix of everything – home cooked, take out and junk food. I try to keep it balanced but most of my dinners lately have been the easiest quickest meal possible. I almost always end up snacking for dinner or after dinner.

Snacks range from fresh veggies, dips, crackers, pitas with tuna or cheese, and of course chips and popcorn. I tend to crave salty but try to limit that as I know it does not help with fluid retention.

I don’t notice that any one food is causing these issues. I am tired a lot but also have B12 and iron issues. So definitely not the best eating habits.

Veronica
    Veronica
    Keymaster

Mom just sent me a link that I completely agree with. It was written by one of her favorite doctors and authors. I would get his upcoming book because he talks a lot about genetic expression and how to eat to curb illnesses of all sorts. (Not that you’re ill or that your ancestors gave you bad genes – just that this type of information helps us to see what is going on with our bodies.)

Here’s the article in which – I’m assuming from a scan – Dr. Gaynor suggests that an increase in L-Carnitine (eggs, meats, dairy) and CoQ10 (also in meat, eggs, and dairy) may help with inflammation.

http://genechanger.com/chronic-inflammation-douse-its-fire-with-9-genechanging-nutrients/

Hope this helps! I would be happy to further discuss this with you from a Nutritional Therapist’s perspective – working through dietary changes for your specific needs.

Anna Wiles
    Participant

Thank you. I will look into those recommendations and supplements! Do you have more suggestions on what I can do to solve or understand my pain and bloating in the meantime?

Veronica
    Veronica
    Keymaster

Absolutely!

Inflammation is almost always your body’s way of telling you something isn’t right and it’s not happy. You could also have an allergy to one of your foods. The best thing you can do to help yourself through this time is to keep a food journal and document what you eat and how you feel 20 mins to 2 hours after you eat it. That should provide some insights into how diet affects your inflammation or water retention.

Anna Wiles
    Participant

I currently take Vitamins – C, D, a multi, and iron (ferrous gluconate), B12 shots every 5-6 weeks, glucosamine, and Omega 3 (reccomended by my optometrist), as well as fluid pills when needed. Plus the anti-inflammatory for another 2 weeks.

I think that’s all – no serious medication really…

Anna Wiles
    Participant

Veronica, do you think that there is a simple detox that would help? Or maybe I just need to try small changes over time?

Anna Wiles
    Participant

Not sure if the food journal would help as some inflammation seems to be there all the time, but it may help to sort out my bloating etc.

Anna Wiles
    Participant

I do really need to lose weight…heaviest I have ever been, and I’m sure that doesn’t help with my inflammation…

Maybe I just need to get your book.

Veronica
    Veronica
    Keymaster

I personally wouldn’t recommend doing a detox right away. Start with little changes first and then a detox later. You have to find out why your body is having so much inflammation first.

Before we started eating LCHF we both had a lot of bloating, and I had quite a bit of inflammation. I have shoes that I bought when I was over weight that were really tight and I couldn’t wear them for more then 20 minutes. Now I can wear them all night and they don’t bother me at all!

How much water do you drink? A simple ‘detox’ you can start with is drinking lots of water with Lemon. I find that really helped me when I was swollen all over.

Anna Wiles
    Participant

I do try to drink lots of water, but some days are better than others. Yes, I was just reading a good article a few days ago about the benefits of water with lemon. Will have to try a incorporate that.

Anna Wiles
    Participant

I have to get groceries tomorrow and lemon is on the list! This is the article I found…http://complete-health-and-happiness.com/20-reasons-drink-lemon-water-morning/

Veronica
    Veronica
    Keymaster

If you’re going grocery shopping tomorrow I would recommend getting lots and lots of fresh food. Your immune system is probably not functioning correctly and you need to boost that baby back up!

Good article at that link! Keep me posted!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.