This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Veronica Veronica 2 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

Joan Fitz
    Participant

Can anyone here comment on Zero Carb diets? I mean no veggies at all? It doesn’t sound healthy.
    I am following a group on Facebook that follows a zero carb diet. I have very high cholesterol naturally (it’s over 300) and they say it’s better to eat high fat meats. I am struggling with this and wanted to ask the opinion of others who might have tried it, or professionals (dieticians, doctors, nutritionists).

Thanks, Joanie

🙂

Veronica
    Veronica
    Keymaster

Hi Joan!

I am not a doctor but I am certified in Nutritional Therapy and I have been on a low carb high fat diet for over a year. I believe in a low carb lifestyle and I believe in a high fat diet after much research and personal success. As well, I have overseen hundreds of people eating this way now.

However…for complete health I would never suggest a zero carb or no carb diet. I don’t mean to discredit another person’s or groups’ work, but I would deter you from following that protocol – especially long term!

Putting weight loss and metabolism aside for a moment, we have to look at the big picture of health here. The prevalence of cancer in our countries is far too great and the nutrition of our foods (even our whole natural foods) has been degraded. Add to this equation our genetics, environmental toxins and the way we feed our farm animals – ARGH! Without the natural ‘cleaners’ and anti-oxidants of vegetables, we put ourselves at great risk.

I’m so sorry. I don’t mean to scare you or discredit another person but I have to give you my honest answer – woman to woman, friend to friend.

Joan Fitz
    Participant

I understand, thank you. Do you believe in low fat then?

Veronica
    Veronica
    Keymaster

Low fat? Not in most cases. I understand you have some health concerns (your cholesterol) so I can see how that might be beneficial to you, but a human’s diet only affects cholesterol levels by about 15% based on the newest research. You mention that your cholesterol is naturally high and I don’t know precisely what you mean by that (naturally). There are many reasons for elevated cholesterol levels.

But back to your “low fat” question…

Low fat diets didn’t work for us in regards to weight loss or in feeling our best on a day to day basis. I am sure it works for some people and may be a very healthy way for those folks to eat/diet/live. I just can’t teach or condone low fat because we don’t live by it and don’t have enough knowledge to help others who want to follow a low fat diet. This is an issue of personal integrity and because the issues I work with are for weight loss, which I’ve found high fat diets to excel at for the vast majority as we have spent (like myself and my mom) too many years eating far too many empty carbohydrates.

If you want some book recommendations on cholesterol, let me know.

Joan Fitz
    Participant

Veronica, do you believe high fat diets work because the fat keeps us full and satisfied?

Veronica
    Veronica
    Keymaster

Partly. Also partly due to our past carb addiction. When you decrease carbs, something else takes it place. Not that we were eating more, or less, or hungering more or less – it is just how balancing the macros work out.

There are a multitude of other reasons an increase in fats helps our bodies to feel better and to run smoother. Plus, on a surface level the difference in our hair, skin and nails is pretty fantastic too! 😉

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.