This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Veronica Veronica 2 years, 6 months ago.

• Author
    Veronica
    Veronica
    Keymaster

Please feel free to ask a question below while we work on creating the introduction to this forum topic. Thank you for your patience!

Cynthia Bell
    Participant

Is butter with canola oil in it a good choice?

Veronica
    Veronica
    Keymaster

Hi Cynthia! Nice to see you here!

Canola oil has a really nice nutritional profile but after we process it, hydrogenate it, stabilize it, it is terrible. If you can get it in virgin state (not heated or processed) it would be great – but it is never sold in virgin state because it goes bad quickly and is not palatable.

I know the diet experts say “use canola oil”, and I’d love to stand by it because it is a Canadian ‘invention’ of sorts – it does more harm than good as it is loaded with trans fats.

If you want to cut back dairy by mixing an oil with butter, opt for any virgin oil (coconut, avacado, macadamia, walnut, etc.). Coconut oil may be a challenge to mix – you’ll have to warm it slightly and make sure the butter is room temperature – but the other oils will be easier.

All my best, Veronica

Cynthia Bell
    Participant

That was my gut feeling. I like soft butter. So I can make soft butter by mixing olive oil and butter?

Veronica
    Veronica
    Keymaster

Yes you can and it is a great idea.

Watch your olive oil though – there has been a lot of trouble with olive oil over the last 2 years that not enough people are talking about.

Virgin or extra virgin are both fine but you want to be sure that any olive oil you buy has an expiry date and if it smells or tastes just a little off, get rid of it. A lot of the big European companies are actually cutting their high grade olive oil with canola and other hydrogenated oils to lengthen the shelf life and increase their profits. They know that import companies aren’t checking quality.

Veronica
    Veronica
    Keymaster

Also…I just saw this http://www.utmostwellness.com/olive-trees-culled/

It seems that a bacteria is killing olive trees in Italy and it is spreading. The government is now cutting down 20,000+ trees to contain the problem. The area this is happening in accounts for 1/3 of all of Italy’s olive oil. So the problem is, prices will be rising on imported extra virgin olive oil.

The good news is that California olive growers make some nice oils.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.