This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Sue Franklin 2 years, 1 month ago.

• Author
    Veronica
    Veronica
    Keymaster

Please feel free to ask a question below while we work on creating the introduction to this forum topic. Thank you for your patience!

Jerry_Ellis
    Participant

I started LCHF diet last week, lost 9.5 lbs in first 5 days, have gained 5 lbs back in the last 2 and haven’t done anything different than the first 5 days. Is this normal? I’m now panicking and questioning whether I should continue!

Veronica
    Veronica
    Keymaster

Hi Jerry!

The word “normal” when it comes to weight loss, individual metabolisms, etc. is a difficult one to agree or disagree on. Congrats on the initial weight loss but at least part of that loss was likely water weight as your body adjusts to a new diet. I know it is hard to stay off the scale in the early days of a diet change but for the first few weeks it is beneficial to weigh in once weekly – or at least do your best to ignore the day-to-day numbers.

If you lost 9.5 in 5 days, then gained 5 back, that still puts you at a 4.5 pound weight loss in 7 days. No need to panic, that’s a great start!

I’m interested to hear what you decided to do – stay on a low carb high fat diet, or try something else.

Jerry_Ellis
    Participant

Before I started LCHF I had insomnia most nights and diarrhea every single day of my life. All that changed after starting the LCHF diet, I sleep great every night and no more diarrhea! That alone is enough for me to to stick with it, but even though I haven’t lost any more weight, I’m sticking to it because after further research, I believe I have found out why…I was not tracking what I was eating and once I started to track, I realized I was eating WAY too much protein and not NEARLY enough fat! I just started tracking today, and already feel less hungry and more energized!

It’s hard to believe I am supposed to eat SO MUCH fat!

Hopefully tracking works and I start losing again, I will keep you posted!

Veronica
    Veronica
    Keymaster

That is wonderful news! We are excited to hear of your progress!

Yes, in the book we talk about how our bodies can convert protein to glucose. Therefore if too much protein is consumed it stalls weight loss. I’m glad you’re finding your way. Our metabolisms have similar functions/attributes, but each of us have differences too. Striving to find our how our bodies work is good work indeed.

Sue Franklin
    Participant

I think I need to change things slightly on the plan from your book. Or maybe I have it wrong?

For the last 2 weeks I’ve been following a 70% F, 10% C, and 20% P. I’ve lost 11lbs so far.

Then I put on 4 lbs in the last few days. 🙁 I did get a bit cosy with a packet of cashew nuts but not 4 lbs worth!

I have now been stuck at the same weight for the past 3 days? Am I doomed? Will I start losing again?

Sue Franklin
    Participant

Ha ha! I’ve just read what I wrote. 3 days!! It is only 3 days. I should stick it out, shouldn’t I? I think i have carb-deprived brain fog.

Veronica
    Veronica
    Keymaster

Keeping in mind that I’m not a doctor, and only going on what we experienced plus what we’ve heard from others (some do yo-yo in the first month), I’d suggest sticking it out for another 4-7 days before ditching or adapting your macros.

Your body is definitely responding and sometimes it takes a month (some even longer, unfortunately) for a body to hum along on fats. It really is quite a task we’re asking of it – to switch from burning glucose all the time to burning fats.

It helps to look at the big picture. In 2 1/2 weeks you’ve lost 11 but gained 4. That’s still a 7 pound loss – about 2.5 pounds per week – which I know may feel disappointing but it is a healthy loss.

Our body is going to do what it is going to do – there is a lot of wisdom in our cells and our metabolism – all we need to do is support it with good foods and relax into the process.

Sue, I don’t know what your previous diet/lifestyle/environment was/is – but if you have stored fat on your body, your body might not want to get to burning all of that right away or too quickly. This may not apply to you, but consider that we humans store toxins in our fat cells. If we start burning/dumping/processing too much too fast, all those toxins have to be processed by our organs. The body – in it’s wisdom – may feel like it can’t handle all those toxins right this moment (maybe the immune system is slightly compromised, maybe hormones are a little off, maybe….well maybe a million reasons).

There are so many factors at play! And scientifically they’re all kind of interesting to think and learn about – but only if you’re interested and intrigued. Most of us are too busy or distracted (life is crazy, no doubt about that!) to learn all the ways our body and metabolism can slow our progression.

Your/my/all of our jobs is to feed our bodies the good stuff, pay attention to our macros, re-connect with our hunger signals, and let the body do the rest.

Sue Franklin
    Participant

You’re right! I just need to chill out and not think too much and let my body adjust. Funny as I know all that stuff and often give advice to friends but when it comes to me, I seem to forget and need someone to tell me to get a grip. It must have really helped having your mother to make these diet changes with, and to bounce ideas off, etc.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.